Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Components that 'jump' inside other components...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrajr

Industrial
Jun 4, 2002
US
I have notice in certain instances that when I rotate a constrained part in an assembly, that it has the tendency to flip over and jump inside another part. To recover, I must remove mates -- pull the part out and reset the mates.

Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? I can not successfully make animations because the mechanism motion causes the parts to 'jump' into them selves.

Thanks

SW2001PLUS
2.2 Ghz Intel P4 - 1 GRAM
nVidia TI 4400

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From what I have noticed in my SLDASMs, it sound like you have a slight over-center problem with one of your pivots in your SLDASM. If you can find what is "binding" you should have smooth rotational control over your parts. "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

This isn't a fix to your problem, but this may help you from recreating mates time and time again.

You shouldn't have to remove or delete the mates. Just simply suppress them. The suppress and unsuppress icons do not come on the default feature toolbar. You have to add them and I suggest you do. You will find that these 2 icons are life, better yet "mate savers" when it comes to problem mates. You only need to simply suppress the mate or pick multiple mates causing the problem and suppress them all by clicking the suppress icon. You can't do that by right clicking them suppress one after the other.

As for your problem:

I have seen this, and 90% of time I have found it to be simply the way it was mated. So be sure (I'm sure you have already) and check the mates again. YOu also may need to add anotehr one to control its reaction when you pull it.

Otherwise I think this a bug...at least it was in SW01+ sp0. Which by the way you didn't mention which Servive Pack (sp)you are running?

Best Regards,
Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin]
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back