Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Composite layers in Solsh190

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonix

Automotive
Jul 23, 2009
CH
Hi,

I'm trying to model a composite using Solsh 190.

The composite is made of 4 layers of 0.25 mm each.

My question is: if I model the composite with 3 elements across the thickness, how does ansys manage the 4 layers? (all the elements are across two layers)
Does this lead to correct results?

If not, I suppose that I am forced to model the composite with 4 elements in the thickness, in this way each one will model one single layer.

Looking forward for your answer

Bye

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

The FEM method works by assigning an equilibrium equation to each segment of an element. You can obtain results using 3 elements across the thickness, but physically, it makes more sense to have one element per layer, so the model can obtain more accurate results on each layer. You can always try to mesh with 3 elements across the thickness and then 4 and query results on the same nodal points on each case. The results will be different for sure, but the level of accuracy will tell, and you know better than anyone what level of accurary you seek in this simulation, will be enough.

Hope I could help,
Regards,
Hugo Silva, Eng. MSc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back