Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Composite Lightning Portection

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgearhart

Aerospace
Mar 1, 2002
US
I am looking for a source for aluminum scrim(?) or thin sheeting that can be applied over laminates to provide lightning protection. This is for aviation application in an experimental aircraft. I would also appreciate any other guidance to sources for lightning protection of small aircraft. I already have the book Lightning Protection of Aircraft, but need real world sources for products and "how to" procedures that it discribes.

Kurt G.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What you need is "Astrostrike". (google search, "Astrostrike")
It is an Aluminum or Copper wire screen, applied with fiberglass resin.
Flamespray is good for production runs, but requires a Flame-spray Oxy-Acetylene rig to apply it.
Some commercial aircraft use 0.010" aluminum sheet bonded to the surface (of flat panels)and attached to the graphite or aluminum frame at fastener locations.
Also, a sprayed on "Conductive Coat" could be used under the primer & topcoat.
But most Military Transport & Commercial aircraft use the Wire mesh or Flamespray at Wing & Stab. Tips.

Glen R. (Repair Station Engineer)

I heard a rumor that carbon fiber is conductive. Apache/Blackhawk external fuel tanks are made with a tow of carbon in with the glass wind. Maybe this approach would work?

simple and easy.

You should use what is called a Expanded Aluminum Foil (EAF) manufactured by Exmet. It is probably a dry mesh that they supply, but you can use it with wetlayup or prepreg.

If you prefer a prepregged mesh, try prepreggers on the East Coast. Newport Adhesives is one of them.

Procedure for layup : just like any layer of prepreg. The outer most ply on the aircraft needs to be the EAF.

Caution: if your aircraft is predominantly carbon cloth, then you might want to avoid Aluminum and choose copper mesh again from the same folks.

Let me know if you need further information.

AK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back