Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Composite Shell Interlaminar Stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael279

Aerospace
Jan 4, 2013
NL
Hello,

Currently I am trying to determine Interlaminar Tensile Stress (ILTS) and Inter Laminar Shear Stresses (ILSS) in composites by using Abaqus.
To get started I tried to reproduce the results in the Abaqus help file, at Abaqus Benchmarks Guide 1.1.3: Composite shells in cylindrical bending.
In this example several ILTS and ILSS results are shown for a 2D simply supported beam model subjected to a distributed sine shape load, and the results are verified with analytical calculations.

However when I try to reproduce the ILSS results using general shells with field output requests TSHR13 and TSHR23, these outputs are zero on the results output plot in the visualization module. Whereas the in plane normal-, shear-, von-mises stresses in the plies are nonzero. Does anyone have an idea why?

I tried this with the following different settings, but none of them worked:
- Shell / Continuum shell, Composite 3 layer layup as indicated in the Abaqus Benchmarks Guide 1.1.3.
- Shell / Continuum shell, Homogeneous with isotropic material.

For both settings I checked the TSHR13 and TSHR23, those were both zero. As another option I tried to use CTSHR13 and CTSHR23 (only for continuum elements), but those were not even selectable in the visualization module; probably because I don't have continuum elements.
Or does anyone have a better way to determine interlaminar stresses?

Thanks in advance!
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back