Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Composites FEA: interlaminar stresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

plvachon

Mechanical
Jun 16, 2005
CA
Hi everyone,

Here is a question about interlaminar stresses in Ansys. As you know, obtaining interlaminar stresses between two layers of a composite is quite tricky in FE analysis. But I'm wondering about the right way to get Sxz (shear interlaminar stress) at a particular interface. In my model, I'm using Solid46 elements with 2 elements through thickness per layer. If I want to get Sxz at 45/-45 interface (for example), may I just select the nodes at the right interface, and then use the *GET command to extract S,XZ?

This is not as simple as it looks, because the stresses are computed at integration points and then, extrapolated to the nodes. Consequently, at an interfacial node, there is a Sxz linked with the element above interface, and another Sxz linked with the element under interface (I mention that the nodes are merged through NUMMRG command). So if I extract Sxz from the interfacial nodes, I guess that I obtain the mean between the two Sxz values...

So, does anyone know how to get Sxz at the interface? I'm a little confused...

There is not too much information in the Ansys help files.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back