Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comprehensive geotechnical forensics book. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadrunner13

Civil/Environmental
Mar 20, 2013
MX
Has anyone read a very comprehensive book about geotechnical failures that have happened in the recent, real world? Common failures, rare failures, failures the regular geotechnical books don't say nothing about, structural failures blamed wrongfully to the soil, sinkholes, cases like the Millenium tower in San Francisco, etc. Can you recommend that book?

"There is nothing in the desert, and no man needs nothing."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A nice topic that unfortunately isn't written much abut. Tschebotarioff in his text "Foundations,Retaining and Earth Structures" does cover many failures, but not as the main thrust of his work. By the way your phrase "geotechnical books don't say nothing about," doesn't give you much to write about either.

George Sowers gave a lot of examples of failure projects in his books. You might check those out.

A Great Place For Engineers to Help Engineers

Follow me there.....

I feel like there needs to be a rolling thread where we can just post links to public geotechnical forensics studies. I've read a few but I know there are a lot more out there.

I'm not sure there is such a comprehensive book. Many of the more popular treatises on geotechnical practice contain failed project examples (as previously mentioned with Sowers); however, geotechnical covers a lot of ground (couldn't resist the pun), so getting a single book to cover a broad range of geotechnical forensic works will be difficult. I think you'll need numerous books to do that.

A Great Place For Engineers to Help Engineers

Follow me there.....

OldestGuy, Ron, epoxybot I will read the books you mention. MTNclimber, I think that there must be more geo-forensics books out there… hidden :) If I find some I will post here :)

"There is nothing in the desert, and no man needs nothing."

The following books cover a wide range of failures (course books of a lecture at university). However not very recent, but each topic has a theory section and a short back of the envelope calculation with the real numbers. Very comprihensible and there is also a capter about the leaning tower of pisa.

Geomechanics of Failures (Puzrin, Springer)
[URL unfurl="true"]https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-90-481-3531-8[/url]

Geomechanics of Failures. Advanced Topics (Puzrin, Springer)
[URL unfurl="true"]https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-90-481-3531-8[/url]

One could also search for the official reports of investigations of failures from the relevant government bodies, depending on the location of the event. These may be limited to the single structure affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back