Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compressed Air as motive force

Status
Not open for further replies.

bk834

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2003
US
I have a 6 ft dia x 18 ft tan/tan pressure vessel containing water. I want to flow 100 gpm @ 100 psi in a 2” Sch 40 pipe attached to the tank using compressed air as the motive force. Is there a formula or handbook for calculating the volume in scfm to make this happen?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tan/Tan is "tangent line to tangent line" in length; 2:1 Ellip. Heads. Compressed air enters horiz tank on top and the liquid is forced out of the bottom of the tank. Typically, a battery of compressed air cylinders with manifold/regulator provide the motive force for the discharge cycle of 5 - 15 minutes.
Thanks Latex!

Latexman, the problemm will be a little more complicated because as the tank is being emptied, your 104 scfm may not be enough since compressed air will be needed to replace the volume in the tank when water is being drawn out.

I understand the 13.4 acfm (100 psi) will be displacing the water. The OP wanted it expressed in scfm. If you have a more rigorous answer, knock yourself out.

Good luck,
Latexman

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back