Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compressed Air Cost Analysis 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblcrona

Mechanical
May 29, 2002
US
I'd like to do a basic cost analysis of our plant's compressed air system. I would like to come up with some potential cost savings to propose this as a project. Can someone tell me where to start and what I should look at first?

Thanks,
Ken Johnson

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you use synthetic compressor lubricants now? The savings in power use and lubricant service life should give you about 10% annually.

toddaune@firstlubes.com

First, do an inventory of consumption.
Second, define your current practices: maintenance schedule, operating parameters (hours of operation/day), week end use etc.. Ideally, you would use an energy draw profile but just defining practices is usually good enough.
Third, determine your energy costs: $/kwh, or $/gallon of LP if used.
Fourth: determine % of full load capacity = Full load CFM/Required CFM. Req.CFM would be a normal consumption as found in step 1.
Fifth, Calculate cost. The formula I use is:
(%Full load X Full load BHP X .746(kw/BHP) X Hrs/shift X Days/week X Wks/yr X $/kwh)/ Motor eff..
This gives an annualized operating cost figure. From there you can add maintenance and other costs to develop totals.

I have no idea if you are still looking for this information, but there are many compressor companies that support this data. One of them is located in Cleveland, Ohio. The company is called Conserv-Air. They handle a lot of problems with Quincy compressors and they have a one day training seminar. I attended this seminar and used the information to save my company over $30,000 in lossed air. The book that is given to you at this seminar is $20-30 if memory service me correct. Believe me it is well worth the cost. Hope this helps. Have a nice day!
OhioIE

I agree with one of the prior responses that it's important to understand your present costs. In addition to that, depending on your goal, you can look at the non-production air loads. Depending on your industry, this will give you an idea of your leak load and/or non-productive load. Another thing to look at is the pressure being provided Vs the pressures required at the point of use. Ther may be a handfull of users requiring you to maintain a higher than necessary pressure. The rule of thumb is a 1% savings for every 2 psi reduction in pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back