Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compressed air system

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisB4

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2006
FR
Hi,

My company is building new factory, at the moment we are to decide on equipment supplier (Kaeser or Atlas Copco, which are the biggest in Poland).
We are installing either one 24m3/min plus one 14m3/min and another 24m3/min later or two 14m3/min now and one 24m3/min later.
My question is whether to choose a compressor with integrated dryer or to have stand-alone unit.
For me integrated one is better because of simpler installation (in stainless steel), as compressor-dryer connections are internal with built-in oil separator and by-pass.
But I've heard (with no arguments) that it is considered as a worse solution.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are correct, integrated is a better choice.

Also, you are more likely to get better results with Atlas Copco than Kaeser, esp., at this level of equipment.

BK

Thanks for reply.
Can you explain it further?
Especially the later part.
I need some arguments for the bosses (they favour Kaeser), while I'd go for Atlas.

Best regards,

Kris

The Atlas Copco products, similar to Ingersoll-Rand, have two lines of products, one intended for lighter-duty use (home garage, smaller shop, not-frequent or heavy use, many single phase units) and the full industrial line (all 3 phase units, for heavy duty, frequent use).

The Kaeser line, similar to, for instance, Campbell products, are chiefly designed and aimed at lighter duty applications.

With the capacities you sited, your application is certainly industrial, and, although perhaps costing more, the investment in the A-C product is likely to be a smarter one. If properly maintained, it would last for 20 years, perhaps more, with minimal downtime, or so my travels would indicate, and those of others I work with, who service air systems, tell me.

BK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back