Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compressibility Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksb24

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2015
US
I understand how to use them but my book gives very exact answers that I feel I could only estimate. Is there a formula used when your P(reduced) and T(reduced) aren't nice numbers to work with?
For example a Pr of .977 and a Tr of 1.038. My compressibility chart has a large gap between Tr of 1 and 1.05 in that region so I don't know how the book got an answer of Z=.56

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can calculate an estimate for the compressibility factor using the appropriate Equation of State. Calculating to a higher precision does not automatically make the answer more accurate.

Katmar Software - AioFlo Pipe Hydraulics

"An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions"

@25362
That is the same graph that i use. I understand how you could estimate the Pr easily but not the Tr because they are curves.

As Pr approaches 1.0, Tr approaches 1.0, the error in predicting z increases to about 30% according to the narrative in Perry, which is probably why the graph stops in this area. If you need some ballpark values on this through a numerical expression, you could try using the Redlich Kwong EOS or other similar EOSs; which you can find in physical chem uni textbooks or chem engg texts ( else Perry Chem Engg Handbook also gives you a few methods on this).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back