Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Compressible fluid volume for blast wave consideration in piping failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScR90

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2017
US
I'm looking for a resource, preferably one available in the public domain, that is from a nationally recognized institute (e.g. university, NASA Research Center, National Laboratory, etc.) that provides information on the amount of volume that may be considered when estimating the energy (ft-lbs) that is released due to failure, such as may occur during a pressure test.
I have seen anecdotal evidence that one may consider as little as 1 to 2 "pipe joints" due to pressure decay of the wave.
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a webinar coming up soon that may be of interest. The webinar will address the issue that transient activity within water pipelines causes wire breaks in pre-stressed concrete cylinder pipelines (PCCP). The seminar will then go on to discuss how the cause of the transients can be determined and how, by avoiding the transients, owners can reduce wire breaks and reduce the risk of pipeline failure.

There was some work done to consider such “Dynamic Effects” prior to 1970. This work was described in 13 references reported in an Atomic Energy Commission document titled “Survey Report on Structural Design of Piping Systems” (TID-25553) as authored by E.C. Rodabaugh and A.G. Pickett). Note that this was a survey report that pointed toward the 13 references that addressed and considered these effects and THOSE would be the publications of interest. Doubtless, there have been more meaningful (to you) publications presented since then. Sorry, I do not have better information.

You might also want to look at some of the FEMA publications (and those published by others, e.g. The American Lifelines Association) that are available and "download-able" on the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back