Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compression Spring - Helical Sweep with hooked ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

TASCT

Mechanical
Dec 3, 2008
US
I'm trying to create a helical sweep with hooked ends similar to the one attached below, I managed to find that online someplace, and I would like to create my own file so I'd be able to manipulate it. Creating the sweep itself is no problem, I can do that, the problem comes at terminating the ends of the sweep into the hooks, I prefer not to make the hook out of a different feature or multiple features . I'd like to have one total height value because I always want to make the spring flexible in my NHA so having a dimension or parameter to use is necessity. That's why I've been shying away from creating the spring, and hook as separate features, any help is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think if you want to have the hooked ends as well as the spring body included in one feature you are going to have to define a 3D curve and then sweep the wire diameter around that curve.

You could still make the hooked ends separate features and have a flexible component. If you were careful how you constructed the helical sweep and used appropriate construction sketches to define everything, you should be able to get it to work like you want. Driven off the single total height value.

Jake,

I'd like to do exactly that, define the hooked ends as part of the 3D curve as well, I have the parametric equation down for the helix, I was having trouble combining that with a curve for the hooked ends. Thought of doing a piecewise define parametric equation, but wasn't sure if pro/e supported that, that's where I'd like the help if you can.

I have never done a piecewise equation, but I think it can be done.

I have modeled springs just like your example and made them flexible (showing compressed and relaxed states or showing similar springs of different lengths)

In my opinion it is not necessary to define the hook ends and the spring in the same equation in order to give you the type of flexibility you are looking for. It really shouldn't matter which curve you define first, just use references to drive the next curve and then you can chose one dimension to drive the entire length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back