Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compressor Suction Pining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon07

Chemical
Mar 17, 2006
SA
Hello everyone,

I have a case which I would like to share it with you, as part of our system upgrade we are planning to enlarge the suction and discharge piping of our WGC in order to minimize the pressure drop in the overall circuits. Doing so this should enable us to process more flow to the WGC our compressor is a variable speed compressor “two stage compressor”.

The suction flow to the WGC would increase by 15% . My question is how can I ensure that my compressor would be capable to adopt the future case, are we going to reach the choking point? How we can measure the required modification which we might need in the compressor side i.e larger rotors, .

The first stage is consist of three rotors and the second stage is consist of 5 rotors.

You feed back is appreicated. Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ALWAYS consult with OEM BEFORE any compressor "upgrade" is conducted.

if the performance curves/data for existing compressor are on hand, then a skilled, knowedgeable, and responsible engineer should be able to answer your questions fully and completely. with information you have provided, one is not able to provide you with results.

furthermore, there are many other factors to consider when planning an upgrade to an existing piece of rotating machinery.

regardless, any increase in capacity directly impacts (increases) required HP as well. can the compressor handle the additional flow? consult with OEM or a responsible engineer.

good luck!
-pmover

Falcon:

I would seriously follow the sensible advice that pmover is offering you. What he has stated is first class consulting advice.

If you are able to increase your centrifugal compresor's capacity 15% by merely modifying your piping, something has been wrong with the installation in the first place. Before you do anything, follow pmover's advice in detail and contact your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back