Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compressor Wash and Atomizing Air Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SloFlo

Mechanical
Sep 11, 2006
US
Does anybody have experience doing compressor washes on units which have a shaft driven atomizing air compressor.
I am concerned that water will get sucked into the compressor and damage it.

One solution that I am considering is placing a valve in the 6" line to the compressor. However, this might damage the compressor also because it will have no suction yet it will still be rotating.

Does anybody have any experience with this or suggestions on how to do this properly?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDATIONS FOR WATER WASH BY THE LETTER.

During water wash the shaft driven atomizing air compressor turns at about 20% or less of the rated speed.
The booster atomizing air compressor must be disabled and valved out.

saludos.
a.

We have removed our booster atomizing air compressor. My question is, will we get water into our main atomizing air compressor even though we are spinning at 20% of rated speed. If so, what have other plants done to address this.

Thanks for your comments

How do you know? Did you open a flanged connection to check if there was any water in the suction pipe to the atomizing air compressor?

Thanks Abeltio, do you have any literature or know on water washing. I am having a difficult time getting anything from our OEM.
Thankss

For the GE machines you can ask the OEM for the Water Wash GEK that applies to your S/N. The GEK is very good and has been revised continuously to keep it up to date with developments.
I've always used the GEK to WW units and never had a problem.

I do not have experience with Westinghouse.

saludos.
a.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back