Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compute sound insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

YvesRossignol

Mechanical
Feb 27, 2018
CA
Helllo, it's my first post so please be patient with me.

I want to compute the acoustic insultation for some wall. I know R value for thermal insulation but I doesn't know what to do for noise.

Thanks for your help

Yves

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The R-value is of no value for acoustical properties! There are many ways to learn the fundamentals of noise control on the Internet. Here is a link to a vendor with some basic information under Resources -> Acoustics 101:

If this is a commercial or inductrial application, then I suggest hiring a experienced consultant for assistance.

Walt

There is a lot of waffle written about tuned layers and so on, but the reality is that if you seal all the holes and increase the mass loading per unit area then that is a pretty good predictor for transmission loss. The fancy tuned systems do work a bit, but it is not night and day, more mass almost always wins. Beranek covers the calculations as well as any I've seen.

You might want to look into cavity systems (double glazing) as well, they can actually be quite good, if you have room and budget.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back