Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Computer Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bd9607

Structural
Oct 7, 2008
US
Has anyone else had the problem with their computer crashing when using Inventor? I mean a hard crash where windows just restarts no warning no nothing. One second looking at 3D model and the next black screen saying its starting windows. Sometimes it takes about 10-15 seconds before the computer restarts itself without me hitting the power button.

It only happens when I am using Inventor, usually spin an assembly around although I can make it do it every time. We are using just the plain jane Inventor not professional, 2013.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

About the hard drive showing some wear and tear. I suggest that you back up all your files before doing anything else. I 've had two hard drives crash and I'm kicking myself for not fully backing up my files when I had a chance.

There were a few things I did that I should of done before I even posted. I updated my driver for my graphics card and I installed the latest service packs. I should of done this before I posted. It hasn't crashed since. I have never seen a program crash a computer to a restart though like that before.

Thanks everyone for the answers.

"3d CAD" programs require a decent amount of graphics card interaction..far more than your word processing programs,etc... Crashes (of all natures) are "fairly typical" with old/out of date graphics drivers,etc...
That's why when recommending graphics cards for Inventor,etc.. I always say find the newest/fastest graphics cards that the "gamers" will drool over and buy that.
Thank god Autodesk and others have moved away from uber expensive OpenGL workstation cards.. To drop $2K on a graphics card alone wasn't uncommon.. Now $300-500 or less and you have all you need. Save the rest for CPU and RAM.

Well I thought it was fixed. It now crashes my whole system about 15 minutes in working inside Inventor. No other program causes this and I use other programs a lot harder than I use Inventor. This time I was working on a simple plate and bolts.

Any ideas? A crash last week somehow changed my time and date for the system. And this last one a minute ago it sat there for about a minute with just the cursor blinking until I hit enter and it asked what OS I wanted.

No I haven't done a memtest yet. Not exactly sure on how too. I noticed my graphics card isn't on the list from Autodesk. Does that really make a difference? It does crash when I am spinning something around.

It is a NVidia Gforce 210. I emailed NVidia and they said that card is a entry level card not intended for use with 'high end' applications like Inventor. So work is going to update my card. Since it crashes on the most basic assembly of one plate and 8 bolts it either is something else or that video card is very 'entry level'

Yes that is clearly not a good graphics card.. And could easily be the root of all your evil.
And Autodesk basically stopped updating the "certified cards" years ago..

A quick test is to go to.. tools..application options..hardware tab and switch to software graphics (and restart Inventor) and see if the crashes stop. (it will be slower but might stop crashing which will let you know the graphics card was to blame)

Switching to software worked like you said mcgyvr. It did run quite a bit slower, but its a lot better than completely crashing.

So it turned out to be the video card after all. I got a different one from their suggested card list and it hasn't crashed yet.

Thank you everyone for you help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back