Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer simulation of behaviour of soil

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixv

Structural
Nov 8, 2018
MT
Hi ,

May I ask when you have a ground material that is a normally consolidated that will be need to be loaded by the foundations of a building that is sensitive to settlement what would be the most important considerations one must consider for a computer simulation?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I might be wrong, but the use of a computer program only is needed for extensive calculations, such as calculating possible settlement. In my case spreadsheets do the job nicely. Input need is the lab compression dimension relationships, loads as well as foundation elevation and size ranges. Thus each is important, but some parts can be estimates, as a start. In other words you need several important inputs.

The most important consideration is to have an experienced geotechnical engineer to review the results of computer simulation on settlements.

The first stage of site investigation is desktop and it informs the engineer of the anticipated subsurface conditions. By precluding the site investigation the design engineer cannot accept any responsibility for providing a safe and economical design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back