Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

COMTRADE VIEWER 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

521AB

Electrical
Jun 23, 2003
CN
Which kind of Comtrade Viewer do you use?
Do you have any good recommendation for, eventually, freeware viewer?
I am not just talking about a viewer... it should also have some technical features like: operation among analog channels (sum product, maybe my own formulae), phasor representation of the analog channels, view in primary and/or secondary quantities, eventually calculation with complex numbers, derived by the fourier transform of the analog channels (my own formulae).. I mean.. something easy to use to facilitate post-fault analysis.
It could be interesting to have a statistics of what people do..
I use something of course, but I'll tell you later.. :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IMHO the best one from European Big Three is Siemens viewer SIGRA. But it is not free.
Good alternative is AREVA viewer included in MiCOM S1 package - completely free, but you must download the complete package (about 300 MB).
Surprisingly small (about 3 MB for the full package!) and easy in use is viewer option in VAMPSET software (by Finnish company VAMP), but I still have no much experience with it.

May be I didn't check all functions, but I cannot remember to have such options as summation of analogue channels, etc. in any of these viewers. My colleagues in Technical University import disturbance files in spreadsheets for further scientific analizes by MATLAB.

------------------------
It may be like this in theory and practice, but in real life it is completely different.
The favourite sentence of my army sergeant

TOP ( from electrotek.com) is free
View comtrade file
create formulae
do some math such as sum, div, exp, sin, ...

you may try it.

Inside omicron pakage is a viewer (TRANSVIEW) also available as stand alone.

Z.

Thank you ZapSib, I will download and try TOP. It seems interesting.

------------------------
It may be like this in theory and practice, but in real life it is completely different.
The favourite sentence of my army sergeant

Ok, I use the Omicron Viewer (Transviewer)
Easy, simple, clear, information "up-front".
It does not support manipulation of the signals (multiplication, summing etc..) as far as I know. Please if I am wrong let me know if there is any trick..

The best viewer that I have used is SIGRA, but if I am doing more complicated analysis I prefer MathCAD. Once you get a MathCAD template setup its relatively easy to perform complex functions with the data. All the commericially avaliable products are fairly limited.

SIGRA is the better but, it's not a free. You can able to see vector diagram, impedance diagram, harmonic bar chart etc. The another most important thing is; you can able to open RIO files (Distance protection)& insert faults (Say; L-G superimpossed on distance char.)on distance char. & see the actual fault is in char. or not. This feature is good for fault analysis & relay settings are ok or not especially for ground faults.

TOP processor is also good to see harmonic bar, waveform summary data & some other DFT, FFT calculations & somany trignomatric functions etc. but, one drawback is you can able to see maximum six single channel in one window so, some time it difficult to see .cfg file for Phase to ground faults which are having eight channels. One more advantage of TOP is; you can able to open some power analysis software files(These are not .CFG files) like; superharm output, harmonic impedance, squarD DAdisp etc.

Regarding MICOMS1; Areva (Alstom) has put TOP processor inside software.

Omicron Advance Transplay is also similar to looks like as SIGRA. So, if you have advance transplay then you not need to buy SIGRA.

I have all & compared somany .CFG files with SIGRA, TOP, MICOMS1, CAPTOOL & TRANSPLAY, but i found SIGRA & TOP are the much better than others.

Thanks

I think the new Omicron Adv Transplay allows quite a bit of manipulation. I think it can load 2 COMTRADE files and do double end fault location, etc. I glanced over the manual and have not had a chance to manipulate.

Hi,
Earlier, OMICRON & SIEMENS was tied up & OMICRON were started to manufacturered instruments for SIEMENS only as per the guideline of SIEMENS.

SIEMENS has made SIGREA software then OMICRON has used same platform for Advance Transplay.

Thanks

Hi!
you have convinced me to download TOP. Thanks..
What about vector diagram representation as function of time (I mean: you position the cursor and TOP draws the phasors for the recorded quantities ). Is it possible to do it or I am trying to do somenthing impossible?
Thanks!

521AB,

I'm not sure that TOP will do that though it is a great analysis tool. Mathcad is a great tool for stepping through a Comtrade file once you set the template up. Not really that hard to do and you can modify it to look at any Comtrade from any device. Not free though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back