Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Conc. Wall Dowel Bend Direction 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARLORD

Structural
Apr 6, 2006
US
For a concrete wall bending transversely, does the direction of the dowel hook of the vertical wall reinforcing bar into the footing bends. Whether it bends towards each other or away from each other, in a wall with two layers of reinforcing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Its somewhat a personal preference, but I like them facing each other. It just seems stronger to have the bend of the hook closer to the comprssion region of the concrete rather than the slab.

Yes, thank you Galambos! I knew I saw that somewhere before but I could not find it. I actually read it in another publication. I've been looking for it for the past two years.

Galambos, thanks for that! That is counter-intuitive and not what most of us were probably taught. I don't do much concrete design but plenty of retaining walls where that detail will be put to use.

Thanks,
Andrew Kester, PE
Florida

Does this apply to all T-joints or is there a caveat based on the thickness of each portion of the T?

I have seen column starter dowels are typically hooked outward. ACI SP-66 also has a diagram showing something similar.

Is it recommended for all column starter dowels to be hooked facing each other as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back