Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Concentrated load on slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansys54

Civil/Environmental
Mar 28, 2003
CA
Can anyone suggest a good book, reference material etc., to deal with calculating moment, shear, etc as a result of point loading a concrete slab. I just realized I've only ever dealt with beams. Even my old engineering texts have alot on beams but nothing about concentrated loads on slabs.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As a first step, look in your local concrete design code. It will probably give you a method to calculate shear around a concentrated load, or the shear around a column to slab connection, which is a similar thing but inverted.

For bending moments, try the yield-line (also called Johansson's) method to get a first estimate of bending moments.

For point loads for slabs on grade, get the book "Designing Floor Slabs on Grade" Second Edition, by Ringo and Anderson, published by The Aberdeen Group, 1996. It covers point loads on SOG very well along with other design topics for floor slabs on grade, with many charts and examples.

In Australian practice (AS3600-2001) the effective width of a one-way slab deemed to resist moments caused by a concentrated load, not located near an unsupported edge, is given by the following equation:
b_ef = b + 2.4*a*[1-(a/L)]

where:
- 'b_ef' is the effective width
- 'b' is the load width
- 'a' is the perpendicular distamnce from the nearer support to the section under consideration
- 'L' is the clear span of the slab

If the load width, 'b_ef', is conservatively assumed to be 0 and the concentrated load is at midspan, then the effective width of the slab is 60% of the clear span, 'L'.

Are you asking about concentrated loads on a slab-on-grade or a structural slab? If it is a structural slab, are you asking about a one-way or two-way slab?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back