Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

concertina effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwiteconfused

Industrial
Aug 13, 2002
GB
I have a piece of tubing that i want to replicate in solidworks using a thin sweep. However, it is a 'concertina' type of tubing i.e. when at full length is split into segments that compress together to halve the original size. The easiest way to describe it is like the body of a caterpillar! I'm wondering if anyone knows how I might be able to produce such a sketch? The only way I can think of is to skecth intermittent circles of varying diameter along the sweep curve and sweep to each one individually in order to get the desired effect. I want the tube to appear at its extended length. Is this the easiest and only way? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would try lofting the part. If you know what the intermittint sections are you should be able to loft between them. I recall doing a cv boot for a cv joint a few years back and lofting seemed the way to go. You will probaly need guide curves to get it to do exactly what you need it to do. BBJT CSWP

Loft seems to be the right way to go here. However, If you know how the guide curves goes along the tube you can use sweep with guide curves to change the cross section while sweeping.

eranz,
A Sweep with guide curves may be the better solution. I recall reading somewhere that sweeps are more accurate than a loft. But in the past I have had better luck with lofting with these types of parts.
BBJT CSWP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back