Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete-Block Bund Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChalMel13

Civil/Environmental
Aug 1, 2022
AU
Everyone,

I came across a bund wall made of Besser (Cinder) blocks. Now, as far as I'm aware these blocks are porous or much more permeable than poured concrete and the blocks do not look filled (I think is recommended). Moreover, I don't see any sealant coating or anything been put on the wall. So, I guess since the wall is outdoor the wear and tear is even worse.

The condition of the wall doesn't look very good as there are multiple cracks (both on mortar and blocks) as well as Efflorescence.

So, my understanding is this type of wall is not recommended for secondary containment due to the block porosity, unless the wall is sealed/waterproofed.
Do you guys have any experience with Besser block bund walls?
Would the wall be able to contain for longer period by sealing the wall with a fire resistant coating (wall is ~35 yrs old)?

Cheers!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

FacEngrPE said:
I would question a unreinforced block wall's ability to handle the bending load caused by containing a pool of liquid,
The wall is old and I don't have the original drawings. There is horizontal reinforcement but not sure vertically.

A block wall is only there for show as a bund wall. How high is it?

I would seal it and then mound earth on both sides myself. Or build a new one out of reincorced concrete behind it.

Relying on a block wall to resist a burning pool of liquid is highly risky.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

No sense speculating - get a qualified engineer to evaluate it for design loads and condition. If proprely designed, installed and maintained it could be OK. Your description suggests it may not pass at least two of these criteria.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your response and apologies for my delay.

LittleInch said:
A block wall is only there for show as a bund wall. How high is it?
- The height averages at 1.2m.

Unfortunately, the bund is that old that there is no original drawings. I'd assume there is some sort of footing under it, but I have not indication so far (haven't dig it as yet).
My first concern at the moment is the permeability of the wall as it is too old.

IFRs said:
If properly designed, installed and maintained it could be OK
- I don't have any indication about the design but it requires heavy repairs.

MJCronin said:
Any pictures available of this wall ?
- Not yet.

Everyone,

It's been a while since my last post on this thread, but I finally have some updates.

I went there to trial some epoxy based product to repair cracks, but unfortunately the issue with the wall seems more severe. While I worked on some larger cracks I found that blocks are empty and the reinforcement is corroded. Not sure in what extend the blocks are not core filled anymore, but checking multiple locations either looking through cracks or by tapping, there are many partially filled/empty blocks.

I was thinking to fill the blocks with high strength concrete/grout by injection but to do so I would have around the a 500m long wall (1.4m high), drill holes and pump concrete.

What's your opinion on that? would drilling holes on the blocks compromise its integrity? Is that a realistic repair approach for such big wall?

Previously we have extended the height of a bund wall with concrete blocks. It used starter bars into the existing wall with concrete backfill, but I am not sure how well this would work for a full height free-standing bund wall. Reinforcing it properly becomes impractical, there will be increased crack maintenance and substantial sealing/lining will be required. Based on what you have described replacement is probably the best option.

A good reference for best practice is linked below, based on lessons learnt from the Buncefield incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back