Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete column saw cut spiral reinforcing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfudo

Structural
Feb 11, 2004
US
Hopefully this is the correct forum...

I have a demo contractor that was to cut away a concrete beam framed into a round concrete column. The building is about 80 years old. A demo saw was used and the angle was wrong, they cut through the spiral tie reinforcing, about 40" of vertical length or 13 passes of the spiral. The spiral looks to be 3/8" smooth bar, spaced about 3".

Has anyone successfully repaired something like this? How would you go about it? We've considered chipping away to expose enough to re-weld all the bars, although I'm not sure of the weldability of this metal. The other idea was to patch the concrete and wrap the column with steel plates or even FRP.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is going to replace the beam at this level? If this section is going to be inside a slab then it will be adequately restrained in the final condition. Could be a temporary issue though.

It is a requirement of modern concrete codes the longitudinal reinforcement of concrete columns be restrained by lateral reinforcement so they cut spirals will need to be re-instated. My opinion would be the use of externally bonded CFRP. I am unsure whether there is any requirement to protect the CFRP for fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back