Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete Curing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairman

Civil/Environmental
May 25, 2003
GB
Is Oxygen used in the concrete curing process? I am trying to determine the cause of low oxygen concentration in a new concrete manhole. Oxygen concentration was 2% and C02 concentration was 8% in a manhole that was three weeks old.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oxidation does occur during the curing process but not to extent of depletion of ambient oxygen supply. Assuming this is an active manhole, I would look to the influent/effluent as being a probable cause.

Considering the levels you have noted, I would also check the instrument to see if it is reading properly. Two percent oxygen is extremely low. Have you checked for volatiles (methane, etc.)?

Also....try not to "double post" in the forums. This is the appropriate forum for your question, but it is also posted in the ACI Code Issues forum (which it is not).

The manhole in question is a water valve manhole with the penetrations sealed with a rubber boot. The manhole was tested with three different monitors and the only gasses that were abnormal were O2 and CO2. Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back