Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete Mat Expansion Joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdi12

Structural
Jul 1, 2006
For 50ft x 25ft x 18in thick concrete mat with 5ft height x 10in thick wall all around (tank spill containment area) is expansion joint required?
Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The problem does not lie with expansion; as mentioned, shrinkage (or contraction) should be addressed. Assuming that the slab will sub-divide itself into two equal sections of 25' x 25', you might want to induce a crack at the mid point.

I submitted the following suggestion to the engineers designing a new USDA facility in Iowa and it was implimented.

Centered in the 18" slab, place a 12 inch tall piece galvanized, expanded metal lath (like Stay-Form) from side to side at the middle of the long axis; tying it to supplimental pieces of reinforcing steel to hold it in place. Horizontally attach an expanding, bentonite waterstop (like CETCO RX101) to the expanded metal lath with a minimum of 4" of concrete cover to the top of the slab. Provide a mix design that includes a crystalline concrete waterproofing (like Xypex Admix C-1000 or C-500).

Here is what occurs:
The galvanized, expanded metal lath prevents aggregate
interlock and a crack is induced at a specific location.

The bentonite waterstop is precisely where it needs to be
in order to prevent fluid from passing through the joint.

The crystalline admixture will reduce the heat of
hydration as well as binding up a lot of the mix water.
There will be less shrinkage and the entire concrete
slab will be internally waterproofed.

The entire volume of concrete can be placed at one time; right on through the control joint(s). During the placement, care must be taken to equalize the level of concrete each side of the metal lath; as to not dislodge it. Normal curing practies are to be followed; membrane or water.

This approach is very predictable; you'll need to decide how many locations to induce the crack(s).

Depends on how much reinforcing you are willing to use.

A top mat of bars 2" below the top of the slab with an area of steel of 0.5% (.005) of the gross cross sectional area of the slab will keep any cracking water tight.

For an 18" thick slab, that is a #9 @ 11" O.C. each way. If this seems like a bit much, you may want to think about a contraction joint like scj53 describes above.

OK, I have a question regarding the 5' high containment walls - any expansion joints there? I ask because we had a project (which included 6' high walls, no mat) where the client insisted the design follow ACI 350 (?) Concrete for Environmental Structures. Including the recommended expansion joints. We disagreed with the need for EJ's, to no avail.

I don't know where ACI 350 requires expansion joints. It gives some very loose and vague recommendations. It also recommends minimum reinforcing based on movement joints. If you go with .005 you're good to up to 150 ft. or so.
For your size tank, you don't need any expansion joints in the slabs or walls. Expansion joints are not cheap and they're the most likely spot to leak. Avoid them unless they're absolutely necessary.
My background includes many many tanks of this size and larger. I can remember the number of expansion joints on one hand.

Just completed a monolithic pour 5000psi 18" thick 116' diameter #7 bars 12" both ways top and bottom. We experienced no cracking and had no joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back