Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Concrete mix for exposed exterior slab on grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBaseplate

Structural
May 31, 2011
Party pavilion, open 4 sides, wood trusses on columns at roof. Location in IL (frost and snow). My question is about my slab on grade mix design. I have the following:

Min f'c = 3000 psi.
Min cement. Material = 520 lb/cubic yd.
Max W/C = 0.40
Slump = 4" + - 1"
Air content = 5.5% + - 1

This is the typical SOG design we use for interior slabs. Should I change anything for the exterior use?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Slump 3" max, air 5% to 7%, f'c (if exposed to deicing salts) 35 MPa. Your cement content and W/C will likely achieve this.

Dik

It's going to be very difficult to get a workable mix if anyone is enforcing the .40 w/c with such little cement. I doubt you even have 3" slump. Why not use 3500 or 4000 psi?

Broom finish?

Why are you using 5.5% air for an interior slab?

VTEIT:

Yes its broom finish. Now that you mention it, 5.5% does seem high for interior, should be more in the range of 3% I think. But 5.5% should be good for exterior, right?

I thought that if it was open on 4 sides, it would pretty much be exterior... and not interior. 5.5% may be a bit on the low side, depending on what is delivered and if this is max/min. In Canada, we often spec 5% to 7%. 3% is in the upper range of entrapped air and way too low for frost resistance...

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back