Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete reinforcement SOMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structuralconcrete

Structural
Apr 18, 2021
US
Hello all,
As previously mentioned in my previous posts I am still learning about reinforcement in concrete. In my current project we are constructing concrete metal decks.
My dilemma is that in certain area of the metal there are openings and in the drawings it calls out for added reinforcement obviously. In my current experience what I know is that the the typical reinforcement has to be followed up to the opening and once I get to the opening I have to follow the specific details which called for more reinforcement.
More recently I have had the GC tell me that because there are concerns with so much rebar stacked at the openings that really I only need the bar that is called out around the openings and I do not need to follow the typical mat up to the opening.
Let me know what you all know and whether what I assume it correct or what the GC is telling me is correct.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@Structuralconcrete....keep in mind that some contractors have 20 years of experience and some have one year of experience, 20 times. Be careful when you hear structural design info being given out by a contractor.

The reinforcing around an opening is intended to maintain the continuity of the primary reinforcing and to supplement for stress concentrations that develop from the opening. For that reason they have to work together. You cannot simply isolate the rebar around the opening from the rebar mat.

I generally replace the bars on the side of the opening with the As interrupted by the opening, with a couple of 15M (#5) bars 'front and back' (wrt the span direction) as a rough guide and increase as req'd.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Don't be overly influenced by contractor blather. This is such a standard detail that I can't think of anyone not having the detail in their files. Yes, there's more reinforcing around the edges of the opening. The contractor should be able to figure out why that is. You've interrupted bars, what is taking their place? More bars!
If there is a problem, that contractor will be nowhere to be found. You're going to take the hit. Hold your ground

That’s exactly what I have been doing. They sent out an RFI to get “clarification” from the EOR and they came back clarifying that the additional bars does indeed go in tandem with the typical mat detail. Thank you all for providing me with your insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back