Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

concrete slab built on fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rottie1

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2012
AU
When constructing a conrete slab for the base for paving should you be investigating the subgrade to determine if piering is required or does this type of slab not have to worry about piering because it is only being used for paving not intended for vehicular traffic?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is nice to know the modulus of subgrade reaction for the subgrade for design of the concrete slab. But, the thickness of the concrete slab is not very sensitive to this value. So, you can design the slab without if you use a conservative value.

Rottie1...your post is very confusing. Why do you have a concrete base for a pavement? Concrete is generally the pavement surface. Further, piering is not a term generally associated with pavement. I'm in the US and we don't use the term "piering" a lot, but it is not in the context of pavements. Usually when discussing pavements we think in terms of "stability" for the subgrade, not "piering". While I try to understand terminology in an international context, I am confused by your use of the terms. Please clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back