Concrete slab considerations for installing overhead crane 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faller500i

Structural
Dec 9, 2022
CA
Hi,

I have a free standing 5 ton overhead crane I want to put in my shop. The crane is a single girder bridge crane that measures 32'6" from column center to column center. My shop is about 40' x 40' which is built on a perimeter footing and stem wall with currently a dirt floor(slab not poured yet). The height of the ceiling is 20'. I have all the columns, bracing and runway beams for the crane. The columns are 8x8 wide flange beam but have no base plates for some reason so I will have to get some proper base plates with appropriate holes made up and weld them to the columns. The runway beams I will have to shorten as they are 50' each.
I want to pour an appropriate slab in the shop to be able to anchor bolt the crane columns to the floor. I was planning on having at least an 8" thick slab but of course have it thicker around the perimeter where the columns will get bolted to.
My questions are:
How thick should I make the slab on the perimeter to be able to anchor bolt the crane columns to? What size anchor bolts should I be using?
How far from the edge of the slab can I be drilling into the concrete for the crane column anchor bolts?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have an engineer who has designed the structure? If so, get them involved.

If you are going at this alone, and are not a structural engineer, please retain one. This is a crane that puts the life safety of everyone in close proximity to the shop at immediate risk. This is not a simple punching bag from the ceiling in a wood residential structure.

If you are structural engineer I would still retain outside eyes given A) the liability spread being good for the soul and B) the nature of your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back