Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete Slab/Drive interface detail at overhead doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbuening

Structural
Feb 15, 2010
US
I was just curious how everyone handles the concrete detailing at an overhead door where the interior concrete slab meets the driveway. We are designing the foundation and slab for a prefabricated variable depth column building that will be used as a heavy highway maintenance facility (snow plows, loaders, etc). Couple questions:

[li]We were going to use PJF/sealer between a pair of L2x2 angles where the driveway meets up with the building slab to protect that edge (good idea or excessive?).[/li]
[li]Do you typically have the joint centered above the foundation wall and have both slabs decoupled from the wall? The building slab is decoupled from the foundation (floating) with PJF around the interior. I'm thinking having dowels attaching the slabs to the foundation wall would be a bad idea. [/li]
[li]Are there "rule of thumbs" for the bearing width of those slabs on the foundation wall? We are using an 8" wall, which provides 4" of bearing for each slab. One could check the bearing pressure to verify, but likely overkill I'm thinking[/li]

Thanks in advance for the feedback!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No angles, its not necessary and can create a maintenance issue. Interior slab poured over the top of foundation wall. Exterior slab/paving stops at exterior face of foundation wall. No connection between interior and exterior slabs. Never had an owner complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back