Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Concrete Special inspection and Testing IBC 1704.4.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronstruc

Structural
Nov 3, 2004
US
I just did a structural peer review on a one-level light-frame building for a city. The footings are continuous and were designed using 3000 psi. The structural design engineer didn't have testing required for the building. This brought up a discussion of code interpretation with the building official. The building officials interpretation is that testing and special inspection are not required per 2006 IBC 1704.4.2. if a building is three stories or less and meets any one of the three (2.1, 2.2, 2.3) exceptions. My interpretation is that either 2.1 and 2.2 must be met or 2.1 and 2.3 must be met to receive an exception, not just one of them. What is your interpretation of this? I appreciate your comments. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I read it as "2.1 or 2.2 or 2.3". I think that if it were intended as you stated, 2.2 and 2.3 would be 2.2.a and 2.2.b instead. However, there is certainly some room for interpretation here, and the commentary doesn't address the question.

I think it is 2.1 or 2.2 or 2.3.

2.1 through 2.3 is to be read like a sentence....

2.1, 2.2, or 2.3.

A code will use the word "AND" if multiple items are required together.

I agree with ronstruc...2.1 & 2.2 or 2.1 & 2.3. However, I do see how it can be interpretted differently. From my experience/observations as a contractor and geotechnical/construction materials testing engineer, I happen to believe the exceptions are too liberal and all construction should be tested so my interpretation may be skewed in that direction. It's a minimal cost that will be the best insurance you can buy.

Ryan Coggins, P.E., S.I.

There isn't the word AND, but what I think links them together is that there is a semicolon and not a period at the end of each item like there is elsewhere throughout the code when each item is independent. The other reason is that there is an OR between the 2.2 and 2.3 and there isn't an OR after 2.1. It definitely could have been worded better to take out the guessing.

The OR is not between the 2nd and third, it is before the last. The means any one of the criteria, unfortunately.

We use the same set up (numbered, semi-colon delimited lists) in our proposals, but we use AND to mean all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back