Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete Through-Bolting

Status
Not open for further replies.

_csways

Structural
Jun 1, 2020
US
Hi,

Can anyone provide guidance on through-bolting two steel plates to the side faces of a reinforced concrete section? I know I need to consider the bolts in double shear, bearing of the bolts against the plates, and bearing of the bolts on the concrete. However, do I consider the bolts bearing against the concrete over the full width of the section? And, as far as detailing, should the through-bolt holes be drilled 1/8" larger than the bolts and filled with epoxy?

Sketches below.

Thanks!

20200610_142858_dcuo9f.jpg

20200610_142019_jxcuap.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What level of load are we talking about here and how far to the end of the wall?

If the load is delivered equally through both plates, yes, double shear and I would consider the full length of the bolt in bearing.

If the load is delivered on only one face, this becomes an area where I'm not aware of a nice closed-form solution to the bolt bearing on concrete. What I've seen are a lot of thumb-in-the-air checks and conservatism.

I'd decide on epoxy or not depending on the application and source of loading.

----
just call me Lo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back