Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete Wheelchair Ramp 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinStrucEng

Structural
Nov 11, 2022
CA
Good day folks,

We are being asked to provide a concrete ramp design for wheelchair access; this is a first for us. Not complicated obviously but just wondering if there are any standards or resources that could be glanced at to ensure that we is specified is "common"? For reference the ramp is for one rise only, to access a raised patio. Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From an accessibility point of view? You'll want to utilize whatever governing standard the authority having jurisdiction has adopted. Here we generally use CSA B651 - Accessible Design for the Built Environment. If you're asking about the concrete design itself then I am not aware of anything (outside of usual state / provincial sidewalk ramp standards), but it's no different than any other typical wall/slab design.

Capture_jlps36.jpg

Capture2_xijsjc.jpg

Thanks for the reply Enable, I should have been more clear - not asking from an accessibility perspective, but from a construction detailing perspective. Particularly foundation and side wall details. I hope that makes sense.

Shux, I am less helpful in the regard. No guides but you may find the details below useful.

In my experience I've found things run the gambit from complete independence (walls with footings founded below the frost line and slab on top) to completely floating / entirely on-grade systems. If you look at the project details below I think you'll find that people just kind of make up their own thing.

City of Winnipeg ramp detail

Details from a community housing project I bid on as a concrete contractor a few years back

Capture2_nsdmtc.jpg

Capture_m5k76m.jpg

Details from a project I was awarded where we put a ramp on a suspended parking garage roof deck

Capture3_zm6ghg.jpg

A few other details from other misc projects

Capture11_hggd5s.jpg

Capture12_ib73lf.jpg

Capture13_sebkh0.jpg

Capture14_uv4hh9.jpg

Enable, this was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you, the examples are excellent - in particular the 4th picture. We're in Ottawa so our winters are usually harsh (not this last one, however) so I am worried about heaving. I will go with walls and footings extending below frost depth over any floating versions. Thanks again.

Grades are normally limited to 1:20 depending on the jurisdiction. Other than flat areas... designed like a regular ramp.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back