Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CONDENSATE RECOVERY SYSTEM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghaote2015

Mechanical
Jun 27, 2016
IN
Hello Everyone

I have a pegging steam line with 40 bar steam pressure, and i installed two steam traps in parallel to drain condensate from it. my condensate load is 120 kg/hr. both steam trap outlets are connected to one collecting tank open to atmosphere. but after installation i saw that both steam traps are low temperature and not at all discharging condensate. when i open the bypass valve all the condensate goes out from bypass only and steam traps remain blocked. i checked the capacity of steam traps and it was in the range still i am not understanding what went wrong, please suggest me any remedy...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A few diagrams or details of the steam traps would be good to see otherwise everything is just guesswork. As you say , maybe they are blocked - how are we to know?

What have you investigated so far?

what are the pressures / temperatures / flows?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

You may probably have a thermostatic trap that has internals to release steam condensate at a temp even lower than what you would want it to release at - check with the engineer who generated the process / mechanical datasheet for these traps. Else the condensate cooling leg upstream of the trap may be too short ?

seems that you have lower pressure steam traps that will never open. careful if they are cast iron, at 40 bar you will bomb yourself. best to use a disc-thermodynamic trap with a strainer up front and a check valve after. rating shall be suitable for the greater of the steam pressure.

Thermo-Dynamic traps are recommended for high pressure (8.6 - 40.8 barg) steam line drip traps. Install in following order: globe valve, strainer with blow of valve, thermo-dynamic trap, globe valve. Contact Sarco Company Inc. to get their book - Hook-up Designs for Steam & Fluid Systems.

40 bar (580 psi) is actually quite high steam pressure !
As mentioned above, I would put good money the two traps you currently have installed in parallel are not rated for that high differential pressure and are remaining shut.

I would even look into a bi-metallic trap if your looking for more longevity before having to service the traps again.

« Rien ne se perd, rien ne se crée : tout se transforme ».
— Antoine Laurent de Lavoisier (1743-1794)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back