Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Condensing curve data for heat exchanger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witaszaa

Chemical
Mar 21, 2017
US
I have a project to replace rudimentary heat exchangers with a shell-and-tube heat exchanger/condenser. The heat exchanger company has requested some data that I'm not sure how to find or generate. They have asked for "Please provide a minimum nine (9) data point condensing curve for the Light and Heavy Oils showing the physical properties in the table received".

The light and heavy oils in this process are a mix of aromatic hydrocarbons when condensed become creosote. Most of the references on condensing curves are for a single chemical or binary mixture. How do I create a curve for a mixture of many aromatic hydrocarbons?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the operating pressure is low enough in order to treat the mixture like an ideal gas, it is simple. The K-values are vapor pressure/ operating pressure. Otherwise the Wilson equation could be used. It depends on the critical pressure, critical temperature and acentric factor.

In Pro/ II - Simsci, there is a heating / cooling curve generator utility program that should fit the bill for this - it also spits out physical props required for HX sizing for each temperature interval or dQ specified by the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back