Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conductance switch for pump level control 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetroBob

Chemical
Dec 23, 2005
CA
A pump supplier is suggesting we use a conductance switch - eg Warrick type - for pump on/off actuation. I'm not personally familiar with this type of pump actuation and would like to know whether conductivity based liquid level control is used often, and in what applications?

The pumps are for removal of groundwater from under a lined pond and/or leak detection. The water will be either clean river water, or process water with some TDS (in the leak detection case).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Bob,

I've personally never used a conductance switch, but in my experience simplicity is better (especially when it comes to operations understanding how it works and how to fix it). I've always found I was able to have my groundwater flow to a sump where simple on/off switches suffice.

I understand that conductance is useful for finding even the least bit of moisture, but given that pumps still require a certain suction head before pumping can commence I would say it seems more useful as a switch for an early warning indicator then for turning on and off a pump which requires a foot or so of water where a float switch would easily suffice.

My 2 cents,
Chad

PetroBob ,

The pumppig company guy is trying to sell you something.

Use a float instead. It's cheaper to buy and easier to maintain.

In mining we use two floats, for maximum and minimum water levels.

Some mining guy.

Ingenieur Minier. Québec, Canada.

A conductivity rod (such as the MulTitrode) can be used. There are no moving parts and no electronics associated with it, so it will last for 20+ years. That's why it comes with a 10-year warranty. No other liquid level sensor comes close.

In lift stations, the conductivity rods work well when there is debris in the water. An additional float is commonly used as an separate emergemcy high alarm.

In the overall scheme of things, one would doubt the cost of the switch would be significant. However, if long term reliability is a concern, you might prefer the conductivity rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back