Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conductivity as a method for determining the solute concentration on apolar solvent: is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guerky

Chemical
Feb 10, 2015
BR
I'm trying to find a relatively simple method for determining the concentration (up to at least 1% of accuracy) of an organic compound in methylciclohexane from a liquid-liquid extraction in order to provide standard crystallization conditions downstream (many recicle streams from one batch to another turns this crystallization in a living hell; eliminate then is out of cogitation).
I already have conductivity meters that act separating the organic phase from the aqueous. The range of conductivity is very broad (13 to +1000 mSiemens), and the organic phase have a conductivity around 19 mS on average, oscillating between 13 and 26 mS. An oscillation of 3 or even 6 mS can be observed even on operation stops, so i know for sure that the conductivity meters calibrated for this rangeare could not be used to build a curve correlating the concentration to the accuracy desired.

The question is: it is a fact that even apolar media presents some conductivity, and this conductivity is a function of the species and their concentration in the media (the temperature is kept constant), so a conductivity analysis calibrated for a smaller range (like 0-30 mS) would have the sensibility for detecting solute small concentration variations? I could request a lab study for creating a curve fiting this data if it correlates to concentration in a significative and measurable way.

If not, what other methods do you suggest for measuring organic solutes concentrations on organic solvents in industrial equipment?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The molecule have optical isomery. How a polarimeter could work, in this case? (if you have some material about functioning, uses and/or installation of these instrument i would apreciate).
About other solutes, only in small amounts. The dried up product minimum concentration is 97%, but yes, MCH has some minor contaminants.

Looks like you are in luck - you can find the theory on this in many chemistry textbooks - also talk to a process analyser vendor and tell them that these are optically pure isomers you are working on - polarimetric analysers are not uncommon.

See a book by Bard-Faulkner on electrochemical methods and look around for cyclicvoltometry and chronocoulometry. These techniques are used to determine what you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back