Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conductivity of Carbon +Polypropylene mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinmoy123

Mechanical
Jul 21, 2005
CA
I have done extensive structural calculation for composites but recently ran into a thermal one. The composite is a Carbon Prolypropylene mix with fiber volm of 50%. How do I calculate the conductivity and Specific heat of the compsite? Is it OK if I take the average of Carbon and PolyP?

IS there any text book or othet literature which gives the thermal properties of composites?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will probably have to test whatever composite you are making for your properties. Your composite will probably have some other materials such as UV inhibitors, colorants and other additives. The properties will probably be non-isotropic and dependant on the orientation of the fibers.

You can not get the result just by summing up the conductivity values of fiber and resin. In that case use rules of mixture(ROM) to obtain the thermal conductivity along the fiber direction.
to use ROM you should be aware of the conductivity values of carbon and the resin.
For carbon the conductivity values vary with direction, so pls get the conductivity values of carbon in all three directions.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back