Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Conduit Drains in Crushing Plant 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePunisher

Electrical
Nov 7, 2009
CA
The crushing plant is classified as non-hazardous and is located on a tropic climate with medium to high humidity. We have complied with the local code on providing drainage to lowest part of conduits by providing "Tee" condulet junction box + reducer + 1/2" drain fitting on the lowest portion of each conduit run.

However, one designer suggested to use a Tee condulet junction box instead and let the lower side of the junction box open so as to act as drain. The crushing plant is dusty and somehow we have concerns that the junction box opening to large enough for dust or rodents/inspects to enter.

Is the designer suggestion acceptable or our Reducer+drain fitting better? I would appreciate anyone who encountered the same installation offer their comments and recommendations.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The B arrangement will be the darling of the MBA. It is cheaper both for parts and for labor and no-one should tell the MBA that the cheapest solution may not be acceptable.
The A arrangement is code compliant. Unused holes must be plugged with an approved solid plug or an approved drain fitting. The approval of a pipe plug has to do with the absence of sharp edges and the galvanized or other finish. for example: Black iron plugs are not acceptable.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

I second Bill's answer. No unused openings without an approved something-or-other in them (drain, vent, plug, etc...).

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Good answer Bill. You slapped the MBA and made it seem like kiss.
I can't believe there is much difference in cost for either A or B.

"I can't believe there is much difference in cost for either A or B."

Use the non-hazardous rated drain fitting that has a screened opening. The explosion proof breathers and drains can get very expensive and are prone to clogging.

Thank you for all the replies.

rcwilson, do you have a brand name in mind that supplies non-explosion proof (non-hazardous) conduit drains.

I searched in on-line catalogs but all conduit drins I got are for hazardous locations.

Appleton CRN38, CRN50, CRN75, etc...

Thomas and Betts has some too, I just don't have their catalog on my PC and can't find it anywhere either...

Check with Grainger, Wesco, others. Those model numbers are good. If they rep other suppliers, just ask for conduit drains for ordinary locations.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back