Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conduit fill for twisted shielded wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkyJunior

Electrical
Aug 16, 2005
US
Hi everyone. Does anyone know of a table listing "typical" conduit fills for twisted shielded wiring? I know cable type and conduit type play a role but I wanted to get a ballpark number.

Also, if there are any electricians out there and would like to inform me on the practical number of twisted shielded wires to install in a given conduit that would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're in the US, I would just look up the internal diameter of the conduit you're planning on using (it will be very close to the trade size), then find the outside diameter of the cable you want to use (from the manufacturer's cable data). The number of cables you can pull in the conduit by code is:

0.4*(Dconduit / Dcable)^2 (if you are having 3 or more cables in the conduit). Round down the answer if your part way between two whole numbers.

if you only have one cable then, your ok to pull it so long as 0.53*(Dconduit)^2 is >= (Dcable)^2

if you have two cables, they are ok to be pulled in a conduit so long as 0.31*(Dconduit^2) >= 2*(Dcable)^2.

Thanks,

VxA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back