Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

conduit installation in class 1, div 2 areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike4168

Electrical
Jun 6, 2002
US
I am installing equipment in a hazardous (C1, D2) location. All the instrumentation is XP rated for this area. The enclosure is also located in this classified area. The enclosure is a NEMA 12 type with an argon purge. As I interpret my NEC manual, that should be suitable. I have used seals and meyers hubs to enter this enclosure. I have two "junction boxes" (NEMA 12, no purge)mounted closer to the action that are used simply as a manifold for routing cables to the individual instruments from a couple of conduits. Keep in mind that no terminations are made in these "junction boxes". If the terminal chambers on the instruments are XP rated (I believe that means they are rated to contain an explosion), do I need to use seals at the entrance to these terminal chambers? If so, then I have an alternate question. I have read a reply to someone's question concerning seal-tite and EMT conduit stating that EMT could not be used, and that seal-tite was limited to 6 feet for grounding purposes. If I use seals and supply a sufficient ground wire, then what is in between shouldn't matter, except for physical protection. Sorry I'm so long, but I do appreciate any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back