Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conduit Pipe within a Concrete Tilt Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallerdf

Structural
Aug 4, 2009
US
I have a 10.5" concrete tilt-up wall with 2 layers of reinforcing (1 layer each face). I have an electrical sub who wants to run 1" diameter conduit between the layers of reinforcing, tied to the inside of one of the layers. A couple runs here and there seams reasonable not to effect the wall much but in one of the panels they want to run a bundle of like 25 in a single layer about 5'-0" wide. I've thought about designing it as and opening with reinforcing each side, top and bottom. Anyone done this before or have any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd enforce limits similar to runs inside of floor slabs. 3" center to center between each 1" conduit and some multiple of the aggregate size. That only makes it 6.25 ft wide. I'd also keep it away from rebar anchorage zones and laps or adjust the lap lengths to compensate.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

wallerdf said:
they want to run a bundle of like 25 in a single layer about 5'-0" wide

That is unreasonable. They are just seeing what they *can* get away with.

"It is imperative Cunth doesn't get his hands on those codes."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back