Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

conduits through 2hr rated wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mauriciocol

Electrical
Aug 5, 2003
US
Hi there

We are in a construction of a commercial building and there are two egress stairs that are enclosed with 2hr rated walls. The contractor has used the stairs to pass the conduits to another room. None of the conduits are serving the stairs area at all. I understand that this practice is not allowed for life and safety issues but do not know the standard to refer to in my report. Could any of you give me an idea where to find this information. The construction is taking place in Miami in the Dade county

Thanks in advance for your input. I am in a rush to give my report out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

2002 NEC:

300.21 ... Openings around electrical penetrations through fire-resistant-rated walls, partitions, floors, or ceilings shall be firestopped using approved methods to maintain the fire resistance rating.

There could be building code requirements more restrictive than this.

You can obviously firestop the penetrations as dpc stated, however, you need to go to the applicable Building Code to see if it's acceptable in the first place, which it usually is not. The International Building Code, 2003 edition, section 1019.1.2 "Penetrations" within Chapter 10 "Means of Egress", states that...

"Penetrations into and openings through an exit enclosure are prohibited except for required exit doors, equipment and ductwork necessary for independent pressurization, sprinkler piping, standpipes, electrical raceway for fire department communication and electrical raceway serving the exit enclosure and terminating at a steel box not exceeding 16 sq. in."

This kind of restriction is probably fairly typical in all the building codes (BOCA, SBC, etc.) but you'll have to check (or maybe you'll get another responder from Fla.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back