Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cone flattening problem, what's the diff between these files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWan

Aerospace
Apr 18, 2008
US
Howdy all,

After my post yesterday I printed to scale the flat pattern and compared it to the template our welders have been using and I found a weird problem. I have included 4 files to explain the problem. CONETEST.SLDPRT is a cone and CONETEST.SLDDRW is its drawing as a flat pattern to scale. FW0037-04-01.SLDPRT is what I thought to be an identical cone with drawing FW0037-04-01.SLDDRW.

I actually printed FW0037-04-01.SLDDRW for the comparison and it didn't quite fit and I noticed that one side was almost a 1/4 inch shorter then the other. There was a 10" X 10" scale box to check the scale of my drawing and the box is 9.98" X 9.98". Not perfrect but the drawing scale could not be the error. As a matter of fact I sketched a line in the drawing right next to the flat pattern edge and the edge reads 16.47" and the line I sketched indicates 16.25".

When I saw this I created the print again using CONETEST and all the dimensions come out correctly here. I'm stymied and I can't tell what the difference is between these two files. Thanks for reviewing this for me.

Here are the files:

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back