Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Configuration Management: Can you reinstate a superseded revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETrow

Aerospace
Nov 23, 2021
US
Should/can you reinstate a superseded revision once the next revision has been released? ECO was released (ex: Rev A to Rev B) but now engineers (per customer) want to "obsolete" the ECO and revert back to previous revision (rev A). How do you properly handle revisions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think it would be cleaner to go to a Rev C, reinstating Rev A, with the rationale that Rev B was dud. This would give you a traceability and a record of why Rev B is not valid, rather than erasing Rev B, only to possibly wind up wasting time revisiting and recreating Rev B once all the parties in the know are no longer around to explain why that's not appropriate

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Software rules aside, yes. Revisions are just iterations, there's no good reason why you cannot have more than one in production simultaneously.

Contractually you can reference Rev A... IRS's solution is cleaner and probably less confusing and less prone to error, in case someone 'accidentally' comes across Rev B, and uses it in lieu of Rev A thinking it is the latest.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

...great mimes think alike. [pipe]

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

We also used to use something called Design Decision Record (DDR) that went into more detail than the typical Engineering Change Notice (ECN) form allows. DDRs are free-form, so you can include lots of text, calculations, etc. that justify a change. A Rev C ECN would rescind Rev B and reference a DDR to explain why.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back