Configuration Management Documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

K3OQ

Computer
Jan 22, 2007
US
Hi,

I have just started a new job as a Desktop Engineer for a government agency. After being here for about a month, I have found that absolutely nothing is documented as far as configurations on our computer desktops. I would like to begin this process, but would like know if there are any standard forms that are used to document desktops on a computer.

Thanks,

Jeff

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might consider using MS Access as a database program and search the web for applications... The Access97 comes with about 20 templates, one of which could likely be modified for your use. It's not as good as some of the other offerings, but it's robust enough and almost fast...

I'm just on the learning slope for this application... I don't find it too difficult since I was one of the earlier users of Visual Basic... and currently use Delphi... the form objects and routines are similar for both.

Dik

I do not understand if your question is about the traditional "Configuration Management" or something I am not familiar with related to the IT department and a standard image control on a PC.

If it is the former traditional tools like clearcase/clearquest are great. Some still use PDM for more manufacturing management. We use a custom interface built on top of MS access as "dik" mentioned. However, when we got to 15k relational elements we had some speed problems. We are now on a long slow conversion to clearcase, which itself uses someone's database underneath.

If it is the latter, perhaps a forum on IT would be more likely to bear fruit.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back