Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuration- "this configuration only" errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

IlliniDawn

Industrial
May 17, 2011
US
I'm currently evaluating software packages for my company, as there has been some complaints about SolidWorks issues. Before I begin seriously looking into other software I would like to see if others in the SW community have been having the same problems as we are.

One common complaint is that whether they create a new configuration or modify an existing one the “this configuration only” check box doesn’t always seem to work. There have been times when all the configs change, or just some of them do. The frustrating thing is that you never know which ones have been effected.

Thanks for in advance for your feed back!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't really run across situations where "this configuration only" doesn't work. In the past, I had issues when I selected all configurations but only the active one updated. The workaround for that was to select "specify configurations" and then select all of them.

When I have many configurations that have more than a couple differences, I like to control everything with a design table. A design table is an embedded excel spreadsheet that lists all of the parameters that are variations between different configurations. Seeing everything listed at once allows you to confirm that everything is accurate.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

Never had that problem. Are you 100% sure it's not user error? The "This configuration only" button is quite small and easily missed or simply forgotten.

Do you have the same problem when a DT is used?

I can't be sure that it isn't a user error. These are issues that are being brought to me.... to be honest my first reaction is that it is user error as I personally haven't experienced this problem in quite some time.

I know that they haven't been using Design Tables, however, if I can prove that there will be fewer "solidworks" errors, they may be willing to give it a try!

CorBlimeyLimey I realize that I wasn't clear when I said "my company". I should have stated it as "the company I work for". I'm simply the employee chosen to evaluate our current software issues.

"Do they work for your company, or does your company work for them?"

I can see in my original post I stated "my company" however, I should have said the company I work for. I'm just the employee chosen to look into our current issues and begin to evaluate our software. I can really only make suggestions as I am in no position to enforce any guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back