Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configurations with PDM/PLM

Status
Not open for further replies.

EClow

Mechanical
May 28, 2009
US
Is it true that implementation of PDM/PLM means the end of configurations in SolidWorks?

What about tabulated drawings?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, EClow:

I tend to agree. I would stay away from any kinds of tabulated drawings.

Alex

Thanks Alex;

Anyone out there know of a way to get the advantages of PDM/PLM without sacrificing configurations? I consider them one of the greatest benefits of SolidWorks.

Ed

Ed,

I guess it may depend on the PDM/PLM you are using, but we still heavily use configurations and we've been using SW Workgroup PDM for almost three years now.

Joe Hasik, CSWP/SMTL
SW 09 x64, SP 3.0
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

In a usual PLM, it is very difficult to employ tabulated drawings. The rule at my company is to not use them. However, configurations do not necessarily need to equate to a tabulation table. You can still use them, but the part numbers represented by each configuration will be unique and can either have its own drawing. Of course, you can assign a different item number for the drawing and for the part itself, so that the drawing number is called out in the references or BOM of the part, but not attached directly to the part. This is kinda a pre-Information Age method of handling this scenario that may actually work well in the cased of tabulated drawings within a modern PDM.

Matt Lorono
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA
Lorono's SolidWorks Resources
Co-moderator of Solidworks Yahoo! Group
and Mechnical.Engineering Yahoo! Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back