Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Conformable sheet material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlightBikes

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2016
US
Hello, I hope this is the appropriate forum for this thread.

Im trying to find a material that will make this project a lot easier.

So what I am working on is making a shape that I can hot drape lexan over, to make a window. (all hand cut/shaped)

The shape I need to get is a somewhat organic shape, basically curves in both X and Y axis. Best way to describe it is a shallow bubble. So I need some symmetry and uniformity

The way I would like to make this shape is to make a center "+" frame work (with a perimeter frame for stability) to give me the curve/depth I want. and then attach a suitable material to give me a somewhat uniform shape

Problem is most materials I have looked into, such as thin lexan sheets, paper board, wood, etc etc... will only easily bend in one direction. So If I attached to the curve on the X axis, it creates a rigid "fold" in the Y axis. Then trying to attach in the Y axis, simply creates a mess. So I need something that will give a little compression while still giving a fairly firm surface(at least one I can lay FG over to create a rigid surface (its ok If I have to do some finish work)

What I didnt want to do is to make a bunch of closely spaced ribs and hand shape the whole thing.

the area is about 4ft x 4ft

The size/shape I'm trying to get is similar to this:(the hatch glass)
URL]

thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Read-up on vacuum forming. What you seem to be missing is that in hot drape forming you cannot compress the sheet or it wrinkles. It can only be stretched to form the shape. You must only heat enough to soften the sheet without destroying the the gloss. You need a tool(mold) of the desired shape. A glass part would make a good tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back