Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Confused on 3-piece ball valve end cap design

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDS_21

Mechanical
Nov 27, 2017
IN
hey I need some expert comment on: "why 3-piece ball valve end caps(threaded ends) of some companies have octagon design while some companies provide hexagon design?
Looking on the function aspect,I thought the shape has to be provided to have a grip for the wrench but then question arises why most companies prefer octagon shape instead of hexagon?
THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

oh thanks for the reply @btrueblood
But then why a decagon is not preferred, I mean it will use less material(probably). Right?
Also is it only the less material advantage that most companies provide octagon shape?
THANKS IN ADVANCE.

I'd personally like to see an icosagon... But in all seriousness, with each additional two sides the risk of slippage increases to the point where it's more of a hazard/problem than a cost benefit. If I save 5% in materials but people get straight up frustrated that they can't properly use my product that they don't buy it again then that's counterproductive. I like the interest in a technical reasoning for exactly 6 or 8 sides but I'm not sure you'll find one outside of preference or just that's how each company makes them. (Disclaimer: Apparently that's what you call a 20 sided polygon. Who would have known, not me.)

Thanks,
Ehzin

Thanks @Ehzin and Icosagon sounds cool but "monkey wrench" may find it difficult to hold it tight I guess.
Joke apart, the explanation holds good because increasing the number of sides would definitely increase the chances of slip so maybe octagon came as a limiting shape both as functional point of view as well as cost of the product.
Saying this I would still like to hear if possibly there are any other reasons for providing octagon instead of other shape.
THANKS IN ADVANCE.

I know that some manufactures actually change from hexagon to octagon as the size of the 3 piece ball valve increases. As soon as the surface area is big enough to with hold the force of a wrench, the hexagon turns into an octagon. The more sides it has the more convenient it is to place the wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back